




Friday, November 12th, was my last day of work before maternity leave. I was just a couple of days shy of 39 weeks and decided to enjoy the final week relaxing at home before Baby Child arrived. The evening went as it normally does with dinner, shower, reading stories & bed time. Sydney went to sleep looking forward to basketball practice the next morning, I went to sleep looking forward to my free week ahead. Little did I know I'd wake up around midnight to my water breaking! Tim was at the fire station that night, but thankfully had just returned from a call and had his phone close by. Mom came over to stay with a sleepy Sydney who woke up as I was making calls & packing up. Tim arrived back home, and off we went to the hospital.
We arrived at the hospital around 2 AM where it was confirmed that my water had broke, but I wasn't technically in labor since I wasn't contracting. The doctor wanted to put me on Pitocin right away, but I asked to hold off for a few hours to see if I would start labor on my own. I didn't, so at 6AM they started the Pitocin. The contractions weren't bad at first, but then they became unbearable. The nurse decided the Pit was up too high & turned it down. Not wanting to give in to an epidural yet, I decided to get Fentanyl, which only helped with the next contraction and was gone. At 12:30 PM my epidural was in and I was a happy camper. I was able to feel my contractions but they weren't painful. I was dilated to a 9 at 2:30 PM and the nurse said I should be ready to push within an hour. I never did feel the urge but around 5:30PM I was ready to try pushing anyway. I pushed through about 8 contractions & Baby Child arrived with his cord wrapped around his neck! Tim was able to deliver Owen, which was such an incredible experience. The midwife was right there to guide him through the process, but Tim did it all! He put the baby on my chest and said, " It's Owen Micheal!" My prediction was correct!
Owen Michael Charlot
Born: November 13th ( 1 week & 1 day early) @ 6:11 PM
Weight/Length: 9lbs. 3 oz., 20 3/4" long




I cannot tell you how much joy it brings me that Tim delivered his child. What an incredibly bonding experience. Can't wait to hold that baby. He looks so much like Tim! Even the hairline.
ReplyDelete